Re: Winterizing my rocco.

** Reply to note from "Nathan A. Marentette" <nathan@www.x5ca.net> Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:13:36 -0400

> Well, it looks like I'm going to be driving the Rocco through the winter. I wish I didn't have to .. i
> have a nice warm garage where it could hibernate, but the funds are not there for another vehicle.
> So, I could use some advice on best preparing and protecting my beloved wolfie.
>
> I'm planning a penetrating oil undercoat, and hose sprayings of the car when ice and snow are
> bad.

  The oil idea is a good one, but spraying might not, especially if you then leave it in a heated garage. The hot humidity will then
activate oxidation - unless the garage is hot enough for all the water to evaporate.

  Anyways, do the oiling while there is still some warmth out there, so it will infiltrate in all the nook and crannies.

> a few bars on my rear defroster don't work. Entire window need to be replaced? Also, the rear
> wiper doesn't work. I don't know if it's the motor or the electrical .. I have to check for current back
> there. I

  There are places that repair the defrosters. No need to replace the entire window. The rear wiper is probably a broken wire, but you
will need to probe in order to find out.

> oh - and protecting wheels? i have some alloys that are in reasonably good shape.

  Use a spare set of steel wheels if you can. This will save your alloys, road salt causes damage.

  Definitely get equipped with 4 (four) *real* winter tires. All season tires are designed for California in August, not for driving in
snow and ice :-)

  If you can, get a block heater. My theory is that warm oil flows more easily, and will save wear and tear on your engine when you
crank it on those cold mornings. The car will probably start anyways, but electricity is cheaper than a worn engine.

  Jean-Claude
  ICQ: 47403427

  84 8v, 251 000 + Km