Want your opinion on my 2L swap

I'd like some advice on part of my plan to put a 2.0L in my '88 16V.  I have the
opportunity to purchase an engine from a '90 Passat w/only 42K miles on it for
$750.  The engine is still in the car.  Some of my other alternatives involve
blocks for much less $, but have many more miles (like125K) or they've been
laying on the floor of a barn for 5 yrs, mileage unknown, etc.  So as I see it,
I could go w/this known quantity for $750 and use the block as is (assuming it
looks good inside) or I could buy a beat up block for $350 and spend ?? on
machine shop work, bearing, rods, etc.

If it matters, I don't plan to race the car when I'm finished, it'll just be a
street machine.

What do you think??

Bill