Re: MK1 brakes

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 UrGTI@aol.com wrote:

> I installed the complete 16v rocco brake set-up on my 80 16v .
> As for the brake lights I had to extend the wires from one of the 2 switches
> to inside the car . Then I took a rabbit GTI brake light switch and installed
> it on the pedal cluster by drilling out the small hole that is already there
> to accept the switch . One problem I encountered here though is that the
> pushrod on the switch is not long enough to contact the brake pedal arm . For
> now I have a spacer on the brake pedal arm .

One of the "features" of the pedal brake switch on A2 cars appears to be
it's ability to be extended (or retracted) to operate in two lengths.
When the actuator of the switch is pushed all the way in (it seats with a
ratchet-like click) it's only about 1/4-1/2" long.  If you grasp it and
give it a firm tug, it will pull out to it's full length (required for A2
pedals, anyways) of I'm guessing about 1 1/2".  I got caught on this
when swapping a pedal cluster from an 85 5spd Golf to an 85 Auto Jetta.
It turned out during removal that the switch had compressed itself - I was
convinced it was a bizarre incompatability or a problem with the rest
height of the brake pedal - but then I gave the switch a tug and hey
presto!  I wonder if this will help in your situation, Jasin.  Either
that, or perhaps modifying a donor switch from an A2 car will make up for
the needed distance, if the switches are different.

On a related note, the master cylinder on MKII 8V Sciroccos is the same
used on 85-90 A2 cars - so if anyone's looking for a replacement for
_stock_, the wrecker's bound to have a few low mileage donors...

> Jasin
> "80" S 16v
>
> --

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca