Re: Seeking 1975 Scirocco car/body

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:01:14 -0600, Kevin Wenzel
<kwenzel@privateI.com> wrote:

>- I currently
>autocross an '81 in DSP (just got back from Nationals; finished 3rd
>behind a couple of Fiats), and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth
>the time and trouble to locate a good '75 body.  The primary concern
>is weight... I've heard many people say that the '75s are lighter for
>whatever reason, and I'm trying to determine if it's because it
>simply came with less equipment, or if there's something about the
>chassis itself that made it lighter than the later ones.

The chassis differences are slight AFAIK, the access cover for the
fuel pump in the tank of later FI cars is the only one I can think of.
The differences in about everything that was put on the chassis are
massive.

>My Scirocco weighs 1908# at the moment - this is with light wheels, a
>small battery, lightweight seats, and most of the front footwell
>sound deadening stuff (the easily removable mats; not the
>asphalt-like coating) removed.  I noticed that your car is listed at
>2010#, which seems heavier than I was led to believe a '75 would be.

2010lbs. "ready for use" which is probably fuel, lubricants, coolant,
spare, water in the washer tank, tools, jack, etc.  That's from the
owner's manual.  I have not weighed my car, but I'm sure it's even
heavier. The door sticker is 2755 gross.

>I've heard that the bumpers might be lighter (no reinforcing channel
>on the inside of the bumper, maybe?)

My bumpers are chromed steel channel with the 5MPH shocks.

>and that the floorpan and rear
>hatch are different, somehow.

Aside from the access cover under the rear seat, I've never noticed
any floor pan or hatch differences.

> Are any of these differences for real?
>If so, do you know if things changed right after the '75 model year,
>or later?

I believe that the weight gain in later Mk1 cars is due to the
equipment and trim additions and changes.   There is (or was) a web
page out there that shows the dry weights (in kg) of golfs, sciroccos,
etc. but I have not been able to find it again.

HTH, Gordon
75 Scirocco/Drake 1.9 8v