AutoX - I'm hooked!

Hey all.  Yesterday was a fun day.  I tried my first autocross at the U
of U in Salt Lake City.  It is nothing but fun, fun, fun!  I had no idea
it could be that fun.  There's nothing like flogging your car without
worrying about some cop sitting around the next corner.

I did pretty good for my first time.  They put me in the Street Touring
class along with a 91 GTI, 92 GLI 16V, 92 GTI 16V, 2 modded Cabbies, a
Beretta Z26 and a 97ish Honda Civic.  The %$#@ing Civic kicked all of
our asses unfortunately.  We all had the about the same mods.  Everyone
had shocks/spring upgrades and some had exhaust mods too along with race
tires.  I was running only my H&R springs/Boge TurboGas on my 88
Scirocco 16V.  Everything else is stock.  I was running on Good Year
Eagle RH's.  Yek!

My first run was a bad one.  Even after walking the course twice along
with a buddy, I still lost my place in the sea of cones.  I became
victim of the 'red blur'.  :-)  I ran a 71.14 that time.  Eww.  Second
run I managed a 62 something.  Third run a 60 something and the last run
I squeaked out a 58.457 which gave me second behind the Civic guy!  The
Civic guy ran a 56.8.

They allowed two fun runs afterward.  I took our club founder along for
the rides.  That was fun to watch him out of the corner of my eye trying
to grab for anything he could get a hold of.  Hehehe.  The first run I
managed a 57.7.  I told my passenger that next time I want at least a
57.4.  He said "nah, I think you can pull a 56.  The car still has some
left in it!"  I beat the hell out of the car that last run to be greeted
with a 56.3!  Woo hoo!  I was so psyched.

The only bad thing is that I now have a VERY loud exhaust leak.  Oops.
The 123,000 mile stock exhaust finally gave up.  Time for a call to the
Potterman.  :-)

For all of you who haven't tried this, do it!

-Mike