AirFlow Sensor problems...

Hey,

    So, I have an 88 16v 'Rocco that I bought in July.  Soon after I bought
it, it began to blow smoke out the tailpipe, like it was running too rich.
When I attended the Seattle Cruise-out, it blew smoke a little more than it
had before.  Someone there did the no-no of adjusting the allen screw that
adjusts the Co level and mixture, the one that raises and lowers the sensor
plate that is located between the fuel distributor and the sensor plate.
Well, he got my car to have better throttle response and actually run a
little bit better and almost completely cease blowing smoke, but would not
idle.  I figured that before too long I would just take it to a shop and have
it adjusted properly.  I realize that by adjusting that screw you are messing
with something that has to be adjusted precisely and cannot be done so
without proper diagnostic equipment such as a scope.  This guy proceeded to
tell me that he suspected that I had some bad injectors.

    Anyway, after a couple of weeks of neglecting that trip to the shop, my
car began to sputter, and would periodically cough, and sometimes even
backfire.  Also, the fuel pump relay would start chattering unceasingly
everytime I would drive my car, except for when I was at a stop...  in other
words the relay would not chatter when I would be at a standstill and rev the
engine.  Then my car started to just up and die every couple of miles, and
then would not start after a while at all.  So, to get it to run,  the first
thing that I did was remove the injectors to have them cleaned.  So,
according to the dealership who hooked each injector up to that nifty little
Bosch injector cleaning contraption and squirted solvent through them... they
cleaned and checked out fine.  So I purchased new o-rings for them and just
for the hell of it, bought a relay too.  (BTW, after the o-rings are on the
injectors and they are installed back on the fuel lines, getting them to go
back into thier bakelite seats properly without that lower o-ring slipping
off is a BITCH!!!)  But after a little while and a little silicone, they
popped in there properly.

    When I tried to start it up however, it just cranked and cranked.  So I
took a long allen wrench and, since it had already been screwed with, I
adjusted that mixture screw so I could get it running good enough to drive it
to the shop and have it corrected properly.  I got it to start and run, and
it seemed to have good throttle response, but when I tried to drive it around
the block, it would do the same coughing a sputtering  and lurching thing
that it was doing before.  Could anything in the sensor plate assembly be
damaged?  Could there be a control plunger problem?  Or do I just need to
keep trying to adjust it?  Or could even my plugs be fouled enough (and I am
sure they are fouled after running so rich so long) that they just aren't
firing properly?  Or could my car be on the verge of exploding into a million
fiery peices like the Death Star?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ben