Re: Motor Mounts

I've used a front "red" poly mount for years(10+) and have had no problems,
i.e. no excessive vibration, no noise, no harshness.  That is the only poly
mount I use, though.  All the other mounts are stock factory.  In fact, I've
had so little(no) problems with this setup, I recently just changed all my
other mounts when I swap in a 5 speed.  That's 21 years on the original
factory mounts.  I wasn't having any problems with them, just changed them
since I was down there.  Now IMO, I have one of the smoothest idleing engines
that I know of and I'm sure that is a big factor in terms of "comfort" in the
car.

If you've ever taken off the front mount, you'll notice the engine doesn't
need any support while doing this.  The front mount is mainly there is
control rotation of the engine.  All of the weight of the engine is really on
the left and right mount.  That's why if you change the other mounts to poly
you will probably get more harshness than when changing just the front, IMO.
If you keep the rotation in check with a front poly mount, the rest of your
mounts should last a long time.

GL

-Dick-
78 Scirocco