From: Ewan Hopkins <Ewan.Hopkins@computeraid.co.uk>
To: <msm@team.co.uk>
Cc: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Friday, September 17, 1999 3:03 PM
Subject: I had H&R springs on my '85 Storm which originally came off aMKI
golf. They were rated at 55-60mm

I had H&R springs on my '85 Storm which originally came off a MKI golf.
They were rated at 55-60mm drop for the golf and they were too short for my
setup.  Side-on there was virtually no gap rear or front and it bounced on
the stock bump-stops and bottomed-out regularly when i removed the stops.  I
was using boge shocks in the stock struts.  The guy who had Golf used
bilstein sports and had no problem with bottoming-out.  Sounds like you
might have the same springs.  If that's the case, I think your only options
are:
shell out £450 on a set of Bilstein sports ( not HDs as you'll stillhave the
problem of not enough travel);
or do what I just did and ditch the springs.  I've just fitted a new set of
Eibach Pro kit springs which are 30-40mm drop, with standard bump-stops,
and it's much better.  I think I might get a pair of poly bump-stops for the
front as there is still a touch too much bounce.

HTH,

Ewan Hopkins.