2.0 L Block for 16V?

Like Christian Els, I'm new to the list, just bought a Scirocco (88), & plan to
pull the engine/transaxel and go through it completely.  My question: I've heard
and read about the 2.0 block that will (almost) bolt into the car and fit the
existing 16V head.  Since I'll have it all apart, it seems like this would be
the time to do the swap.  What models is this 2.0 L block from?  What's the
downside of doing this exchange (besides more $)?

Any info would be great.  Thanks.