From: Brett P VanSprewenburg [mailto:brettv@rocketmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 2:29 PM
To: Christian Els
Cc: scirocco
Subject: Re: Good deal wanted, Was Re: I scored too!

---Christian Els <tiAn@usi.com> wrote:

> I'm a new subscriber to this list, having just found a good deal myself.

Welcome to best list on the planet, free drink at the bar for new members!
:)

> I recently purchased a 1987 16V from the original owner for cheap, but
> I'm not sure the hood has ever been opened in it's life. The motor is a
> wreck, as is the engine bay and all the accessories.

You've got some work cut out for you if you want to keep it in top running
condition...

> I will be rebuilding the engine so that it works(!) reliably enough for
> my wife to drive everyday. I am in need of an overhaul kit of all the
> gaskets/seals/bearings/miscellaneous bits to do the rebuild. Anyone here
> a good source for these, or know of one?

Two come to mind: Mark @ Adirondak (www.germanautoparts.com) and Mike @
Virtual World (www.parts4vws.com).  Either one are VERY knowledgable, and
have the best prices on the planet for VW parts.  Each of them are quite
friendly and be sure to mention you're from the scirocco mailing list!

Be perpared to spend quite a bit, several thousand anyway, to give your
motor a thourgh overhall. (all bearings, seals, head job, distributor,
sensors, all the tune-up parts, pumps, and on and on and on....)

> This is my third Scirocco ('85, '87_16V) and my 12th VW. I know the car,
> just need help finding some parts.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Christian

Good luck, we'll be here. :)