Re: help. . . tranny fluid and CV boot

Pei-Chung Ting wrote:

> Hello everyone. ..
>
> needed some bone-head help with tranny fluid changing and replacing a
> CV boot.
>
> I have an '88 16v. . . wanted to change the tranny fluid, but the
> manual I have is cryptic.  I can't find the drain plug and the filler
> plug.  Can someone help me locate these? and outline the proper
> procedure.  Specific is good.

Tranny has two 17 mm hex sockets on it. Get up under the car and you
should see the drain plug at the lowest spot. On the side (away from the
engine) you will see another hex socket that you can pour oil in until
it just spills out. The correct amount of oil varies so check yer
bentley. SOme take just under 2 liters some a bit over. (I think)

> While down there trying to figure out the tranny, I found a broken CV
> boot.  Looks like I found it early so I hope I don't have to replace
> the CV joint.  Are there any snags to this operation I should know
> about?  like parts and clips that need to be replaced.  If I could get
> a shopping list of everything I need, it would be helpful.  Guess I
> have a full day tomorrow.
>
> Latah,
> 'Chung

You can pick up boot kits that include grease and clips for the ends. I
don't remember were I saw them though. (Sorry). Off the top of my head
it was not ND or the Potterman's web locale, some other place. Anyone?

Let the list know if they are found (boot refurb kits) Everyone will
need some eventually and Al's 'new' ride is looking at needing at least
one too.

hth,
TBerk