Re: 20v Rabbit in Sep. EC

    From the experience I've had with the 1.8 8v and 1.8 to 2.1 liter 16v's
this little 1.8 20v motor is a motor to be reckoned with. No mods at all
other then adding carbs and testing it for a few runs, the car isn't tuned
all the way yet I would like to add. The horse power was increased 55+ bhp.
On 2.0 16v's with 1.8 ported and polished heads with larger valves and valve
jobs, you tend to get 35 to 45bhp. Yes, thats a Dynoed figure I got from a
few motors I've built. Some of the motors had different compression ratios.

    Now if you want to tap the power of the 20v just boost the compression
port that head and get some bigger valves in there. Then think about cams and
gears and balancing out the bottom end and you would have a killer motor in
the works. Sure you can build 350 bhp 16v motors but the tend to just blow
themselves up after a season or two. This little Rabbit has just shown what
one simple bolt on mod can do. In my eyes this motor has a lot of potential.
Finally a company in the US is taking an advantage of it. To bad we won't be
seeing much of this motor, so this whole thread is Kind of pointless. But its
an interesting alternative, as was the 16v when it came out.

    Oh if anyone wants to chance this motor, I just might. Eurospec is
bringing in the motor now and I think TAP is as well. I'm picking one up
while visiting my other over in Germany, it seems like it will be the
cheapest way to get the motor, and accessories bracket and proper water pump,
power steering pump, and alt.
Well I'm off back to school for me in the morning.
~Danny~