RE: Frozen odometer

>This sounds like the infamous speedo gear problem.  I think someone posted
>the fix for this a while back, but I don't remember who it was.  I seem to
>remember it being Brett?
>
>Jerry Daugherty
>87 8v
>Austin, TX

Yeah, I've detailed the fix several times...at least three.

Anyway, it's a small gear at the end of a small shaft that runs
through the main odo wheels.  It connects all the odo numbers,
including the trip number wheels, to the driver spinning off
the speedo cable.  The small gear either begins slipping on the
shaft due to heat expansion, or the gear is split.  If it's split,
it can possibly be glued and reused.  If it's just slipping, then
you can pull apart the odo wheels, off the shaft.  Krurl up the
end where the slipping gear attaches with a set of vicegrips.  Just
clamp it on/off at a few different angles to put a few 'risers' in
the metal shaft for the plastic gear to bite on.  It's worked at
least three times for me.  YMMV naturally...

There a set of directions useful for taking apart your cluster
on my gauge faces web page and also Jans VW page.  Both links
are on the scirocco.org links section.

==Brett