Re: Frozen odometer

The problem is the plastic gear slides on the shaft after time and
doesn't engage properly. Only fix is replacement. BUT, I have known
people who have took the time to disassemble the unit and put a divet on
the shaft with a pair of vicegrips. The shaft is smooth otherwise hence
the inner diameter of the gear gets bigger and slips. So it you clamp
some vice grips down on the shaft where the gear sits then ram the gear
back on it should hold for some time longer. This problem is VERY common
on ALOT of old german cars with these gauges. What I have done is what
most owners have done: said "fuck it, its a VW, milage means nothing!"

Feenix...
80 1.8 with non-working odometer