16v conversion question:wiring harness

So I put a couple of holes in my car's body today (intentionally;
side markers) and was planning to drill another one in the engine
compartment to pass the wiring harness for the engine thru it.

On a 16v Scirocco, there is a 1 3/4" hole behind the master cylinder
that the wires for the computer pass thru, a big rubber grommet fits
there.

If I put this hole in my car ('81 Rabbit Convertible), I'm right on
top of the mounting bracket for the wiper motor and linkage.

I'm going to go look at the donor car in a while, but I don't think
this is the case.  If it is different, how have you that have done
the swap dealt with this?  Or is this just a quirk of the Convertible?

TIA.
| Jim Jarrett                      http://www2.rpa.net/~jarrett |
| jarrett@<NOSPAM>rpa.net                                       |