Mk 1 Purchase: Help needed! (long)

Ok..I have a good idea of what to be looking
out for while checking out Mk 1's but I'm
not an expert because I've never owned one!!
But I'm going to look at a Canadian 1981 'S' tomorrow,
which is claimed to be all original w/ only
~80,000 miles. Original owner stored it for 8 years,
it has the original S spoiler, mint interior w/
minor dash crack. 2nd owner is selling.
Body had dings/dents so a body shop replaced the 4
'fenders'. i.e. replaced front and CUT the sheet
metal (ouch) and replaced the 'rear wings',
and was resprayed last year in silver metallic.
Apart for checking that they used no fibreglass/bondo,
can one tell if they botched the rear wing job?? He
claims they also made it a tad wider in the back (WTF?!)
it better look stock. Floor apparently solid,
but we'll see about that. Owner is
almost sure it has the stock 1.6l in there. An
'81 should be 1.7, right? Or were Canadian ones
different? It should have an FN tranny, right? Any
advice/tips are much appreciated. Thanks guys,
Kareem
'88 Scirocco 16v
p.s I have no reason not to share this, but
    the other silver Mk 1 I have my eye on is
    former list member's John Ryland's screaming
    2.0 8v motronic! If anyone needs to know how
    to get a hold of him or want a pointer to pics
    on the web of his amazing car, lemme know. He'll be
    at the bugout in Virginia this weekend actively
    trying to sell the car. Great car, but I really
    can't afford the asking price right now, even after
    selling my 16v - which I may have to do (sob!!!) if I
    am to buy an almost perfect Mk 1.