Re: Blower motor

>Where exactly is the blower motor for the a/c and heat on a '86 Scirocco
>16v??

You're not gonna like this.  It's directly in the center of the underdash
area.  If you want to see it, you can remove the splash tray from on top of
that space between the engine bay and the bottom of the windshield, and then
remove the black plastic cover sitting in the center of that area.  It's
sitting right under there.

Now the bad (worse) news - I don't think you can remove it from this
direction (hopefully, I'm wrong).  I think you have to remove that entire
housing from the space behind the center console, which means disconnecting
the heater hoses (not that big a deal) and the a/c pipes (a huge hassle if
you're lucky enough to still have freon in the system).

Once you disconnect the hoses and pipes, the whole housing is held in place
by 2 or 3 screws at the top which anchor to the underside of the dash
support portion of the unit body (I had the dash out when I did this, which
I expect made it possible/easier).

The good news - once this whole piece is out of the car, the blower
motor/squirrel cage can be plucked out pretty easily, and it's a great
opportunity to open the casing and clean out all the mung that's either been
sucked through the intake or fallen into the defrost openings (I found three
pens, $0.28 in loose change, and lots of what had become mulch or compost by
this time).

Best bet - be absolutely sure it's not something simpler, like the
notoriously-prone-to-fail blower speed switch (the one the knob fits into),
that's causing the problem.  Sometimes those switches overheat, the plastic
melts a little, and the contacts are either no longer touching or are coated
in plastic.  I've opened one before and performed a half-assed fix with a
pocketknife.

Best of luck,
Jeff Wheeler