Re: Blower motor

At 11:00 am -0400 4/9/99, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
>Now the bad (worse) news - I don't think you can remove it from this
>direction (hopefully, I'm wrong).  I think you have to remove that entire

Hm, well for better or for worse, you are wrong :)  I swapped blower motors
on my old 16v one time.  It took HOURS.  Might have been a better idea to
follow your procedure, but the prospect of disassembling that housing
behind the dash was too scary.

To get the blower out, you undo the screws holding it down and then pull it
up and tilt it onto its side.  You may want to remove the wiper linkage, as
well.  In order to get it out of the hole it sits in, you're going to have
to pry down on the rain tray.  Be careful - you have to pry fairly hard,
but make sure you don't bend things permanently or crack the paint.  I used
a 2x4, prying down on the rain tray using the cowl at the base of the
windshield as a fulcrum.  You just gotta f*ck around with it until you get
enough clearance, and the right angle, to get it out.  Then you slide the
motor over the passenger side of the rain tray and pull it out where VW
stamped a channel into the sheet metal.  I swear to god that's what it's
there for. :)

Anyways this job is a colossal pain in the ass, and like Jeff said, MAKE
SURE you rule out all other possible problems before you start.  I have "a
friend" who went to all this trouble swapping blower motors only to find
that the new one didn't work either.  Turned out that "he" had a bad ground
at the fusebox caused by a shitty alarm install.  ;)

HTH!