Re: Wanted: Shocks

Yeah, I know Daun, but I don't have a choice.  Well I do, but I'm not going
to drive my GTI 16V in the  winter.  I was looking for a winter beater (VW,
of course) but when I found my 79, (on scirocco.org) it was too good to pass
up.  I was hoping for something junky so I wouldn't feel bad about the
winter conditions here in Minneapolis, but instead I fell in love with 79,
and now I have two cars I don't want to drive in the winter. The Scirocco is
in decent shape, but it's still only a $700 car, so that's how I'm
rationalizing this one for now.  The car spent most of it's life in CA I
believe,  it's too rust free not to have.  So, I'm hoping with some POR-15
rust inhibiting paint and some luck I'll make it through with only as much
rust as I went in with.  Plus there's a car wash less than a block from my
apartment, and I have a garage space.  So, am I ok or is someone from the
list going to come over to beat me up and take my car away?

Thanks,

Ben

> --- ben rogowski <bgr13@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I've recently acquired my first Scirocco, a '79 in very
> > decent shape
> > actually.  I'm planning on turning it into a project car,
> > but it's going to
> > be my winter car in the meantime, (hopefully only for
> > this winter anyway!)
>
> EEEEEK!!!!
>
> Where are you located?  Since it sounds like you get snow /
> ice / salt on the roads, I would STRONGLY urge you to NOT
> drive this car in the winter.  They have this nasty habit
> of rusting near the rear axle mounts, as well as through
> the inner fenders.  Wouldn't hurt to check it out now...
>
> Just my $.02
>
> Oh, and welcome to the list!  :)
>
> ===
> Daun Yeagley
> '79 Scirocco
> '81 Rabbit Pickup
> '85 Scirocco 8v
> '88 Scirocco 16v
> There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."  - Dave
Barry