Re: Was Rocco Top Speed, now Cement Filled Yugo Physics Discussion

At 12:43 PM -0400 9/2/99, 16v Jason wrote:
>At 11:56 AM 9/2/99 , you wrote:
>>assuming that they would have to be dropped from diferent heights. they
>would
>>both reach their teminal velocity at the same point, because they are the
>>same shape. they cement filled yugo has more kinetic enery that is all. it
>>won't fall any faster than the empty yugo.
>>-slsn
>

>Hey Alan,
>	I have to differ with you...
>
>	Let's assume that the cars were both dropped from the same height (i.e.
>the top of a building).  They would both accelerate at the same rate, at
>first, i.e. somewhere around 9.8 ms^-2.
>
>However, the lighter one has a lower terminal velocity... so it would stop
>accelerating at some point (if facing downward probably somewhere around
>130mph), but the other one would continue accelerating to a higher velocity.

Ok, I may be missing something here, but isn't 130mph terminal
velocity for the average human being?  I haven't seen the formula to
see if mass has anything to do with it.......seems strange that a car
and a person would accelerate to the exact same speed...
| Jim Jarrett                      http://www2.rpa.net/~jarrett |
| jarrett@<NOSPAM>rpa.net                                       |