starting problem

Hey all,
  I now have my 81 Scirocco running with a *new* JH motor.  I have the
timing set and everything seemed to be going well.  Now that I am driving
the car I have been having a warm starting problem...turning off the
engine (after running at normal operating temps), if the car sits for over
30 min. it will want to stall upon trying to restart.  If I am patient and
just keep on trying (5-10+ cranks) it will finally fire and then run rough
for a few seconds before smoothing out to normal idle.  If the engine is
cold it has no problems at all.  I am thinking that there must be a
problem with the fuel pressure or something.... any ideas?
TIA

=====