Re: good eng. for Mk1

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
>A lot of people are huge 8v fans because of their reliability (the fact that you won't destroy the head >when you break a timing belt as on the 16v engine),

that's only true for the JH engine with 8.5:1 compression,
the other 1.8l 8v engines like
DX, EX and 2H will destroy the valves in case
of a breaking timing belt ( I already experienced that )

but if you have the (small) chance, to get a DX or EX over there
it will be much better compared to the crappy JH engine.

the DX engine was the strongest available stock 8v engine
in a Scirocco, it has about 118HP on the flywheel,
the torque is much higher than
the JH engine and the max. torque
you get at 3500RPM instead of 4250RPM compared to the PL (16V)

this just for info if you plan to use a stock Scirocco engine,
aside from the torque range,
the 16v has a better overall performance than the 8valvers
and if you should  get a 1.8l 16V, try to get a KR motor with 139PS, as the PL engines
only have 129PS. Main difference here are different camshafts.

Greetings
Dirk

montego-black '83 SCIROCCO GTX 1.8l EX carbed
montego-black '84 SCIROCCO GTX 1.8l DX inj.
http://home.t-online.de/home/SCIROCCO/index.htm