Re: good eng. for Mk1

I am no veteran, but here is what I have gleaned from the list and other sources as well.

I agree eith Mark Peele that for the budget, the 2L 16v will give you the most horsepower (out of the box).  A lot of people are huge 8v fans because of their reliability (the fact that you won't destroy the head when you break a timing belt as on the 16v engine), the great torque and the ease with which you can find hidden horsepower--make it flow better by putting in a less restrictive intake and exhaust system.  With headwork and cams I believe you can make the 8v have  more horsepower than the US stock 2L 16v (134 hp at flywheel).  I think Shawn has a 165 hp (at flywheel) 2L 8v in the works.

Out of the box the best engine combination in your budget range is the 1.8L 16v head on the 2L 16v bottom end.  I think you end up somewhere near 150 hp w/o doing any headwork, cams, etc.  This combo gives more hp than the stock 2L 16v b/c the 1.8L head flows better, and I think the compression gets bumped up a little when you slap the 1.8 head on the 2.0 bottom.
You should be able to pick up a 2L bottom end for $4-500 (in fact Jonas Miller has one in his basement that he can't get rid of - don't know if its 8v or 16v though).  I figure you could get a 1.8 head for that much or cheaper.

I just helped a friend of mine drop that combination into his 1987 Golf GTI and it is sweet.  It was pretty straight forward since everything hooks up the same.

Victor

>>> Nathan Malone <nmalone@sumagroup.com> 10/27 1:20 PM >>>
Hey guys,
I have a little enquirery for you veterans.
In a few months I am going to add to
my Rocc collection (soon to be a grand selection)
and purchase an Mk1 from a guy I used to
work with.The car itself is superbly clean,
with a straight body, no rust, dents, or anything,
naturally you can imagine my exitement.
Then we come to the eng. It is the orig.
1.6L and has well over 200k on it.
The owner has taken great care of it, but
it is still on its last legs (understandable).
Here we come to the question.
As I retire the 1.6, and get ready to
put a new eng in it, I am wondering
what would be the best choice
in your guyses opinion.
Here are my requirements:
-I am looking for speed, speed, speed.
-My budget will most likely be aroud 2k
 maybe alittle more but not much.
-something that will be easy to add mods to in the future.
-I am no stranger to modifieing eng. compartments
 but I want to keep this one mainly uncut and unwelded.
I know some of you like your 2.0's and I have had
only good experiences with 1.8's, and then I have
seen a VR6 in a Mk1 rocc (on the site) but I imagine
that would need alot of mods in the eng. compartment.
Is it such a step up to go from 8v to 16v, or can
this me made up for by a few minor mods on a 8v.
I heard you guys talking about some high powered
audi engines, are these a straight swap, or would I
need to change mounts?

Thank you in advance.
Nathan
Portland,OR