Re.: Whoa! How do I stop this Crazy Thing!

<x-charset iso-8859-1>>With the experience of my old Scirocco in mind I
>braked with plenty of room in front of me.  Guess what? the thing barely
>even slowed down.

Fellow Oregoniac!  Since it is a new acquisition, at the very least you
should change the fluid and inspect those brake lines (preferably swap to
stainless brake lines).  You didn't mention the pads, so I'm assuming they
are fine (check the inside pad just to make sure they are wearing evenly).
I upgraded to the ATE vented, grooved rotors on my '84 GLI when I put on 16V
brakes.  They are very nice and cost slightly more than the standard vented
rotor.  Supposed to scrub water away more effectively, and I think they do.
I would avoid adjusting the rear brakes since the front brakes are
responsible for more than 65% of the braking power.  Too much in the rear in
this Oregon weather is a recipe for swapping ends when driving on the Sunset
Hwy!

Good luck.  BTW, where are you located?

David Barwick
Black '88 Scirocco