Stalling Problem

OK guys i need your help

About two weeks ago the car cut out on me whilst driving. It would start and
then die very quickly and everytime it started it misfired/backfired really bad
before dying. I noticed that the rev counter would dive to zero before the
engine cut.
Anyway upon investigation i found that the fual pump relay had melted itself
onto the fusebox

I changed the fusebox and relay but still the car wouldn't start so i played
arond with the TCI/Ignition amplifier and it started but the idle was very bad.
So i changed the ignition amp/TCI unit and replaced the connector boot (remaking
all the wiring conections) and it started just fine

I also replaced the fuel filter, tested the fuel pump and replaced the throttle
body with a bigger Passat IL5for better air flow(not connected i am sure). In
addition i looked at the airflow meter plate which was fine. The car worked fine
apart from a high idle due to the TB and this weekend just gone i sorted this
out with a new gasket. I also replaced the alternator belt (not connected)

However last night she started misfiring badly so i ended up doing the kangaroo
(uncool to say the least) before cutting completley.The first thing to go was
the rev counter. It wouldn't start at all for about ten minutes and then it
started finally with an almighty backfire (bear in mind it was 11pm in a quiet
S.London suburb) but thereafter the idle was rough for about five minutes
whereupon it smoothed out. However now the idle keeps jumping up and down very
suddenly by about 200rpm
i.e. it will be idling at 900rpm and all of a sudden it will jump up, stay at
1100 for a few minutes and then jump back.

I am pretty sure that it is an electrical problem as the rev counter dies first
but my question is

Has anyone got a clue what could be causing this as i don't?

Thanks in anticipation

Andy
1991 1781cc 8V Scala
S.London England