Re: valvetrain+injectors

<x-flowed>Your car has hydraulic lifters, so there is no adjustment.  Usually, they
make noise in the morning when the oil is not warmed up but should quiet
down within a couple of minutes (sometimes 30 seconds).  If your valves are
continuing to tick long after your car is warmed up, your lifters need to be
replaced.  What oil weight are you using and what is your climate?  These
things will factor into how much noise your valves will make.  Some of us in
the south can run 20W-50 all year, but it's too thick in the winter for the
Northerners.

A lot of things could cause idle and hesitation problems when the car is
cold.  There is a warm air feed to the airbox.  Is this working?  I think
your car would have CIS-E.  The idle stabilizer valve might be stuck or not
working.  If you turn on the A/C does the idle increase?  If it does, then
the valve is working.  Dirty injectors could also be a culprit.  I don't
think it sounds like you have a vacuum leak since that should show up at all
times, not just when the car is warming up.  I usually notice a little
slowness in my car when it's cold, but it goes away in about 500 feet of
driving.  How long has it been since your car has been tuned?  The mixture
could need adjusting.

HTH,
Ian Overholt
'88 16v