electrical gremlins?

Since we're all good friends now...

I have a problem which has stumped everyone I have spoke to, including
many mechanics and the dealer.  On my '82, unless you have the lights on,
it runs like crap.  the fuel ratio (as shown by a gauge) will cycle
between very lean and normal at one to two cycles per second, with lots
of heavy bucking.  But turn the lights on, and the car runs flawlessly.
During the first half of this year I tried chasing down this problem and
replace the O2 sensor, fuel pressure regulator, injector seals, varous
vacuum line and manifold seals, etc...  This made it better, but I
couldn't solve the problem.  Ultimately, I have decided it's easier to
just turn on the damn lights!

Has anyone experienced this?  Any Ideas?  Or should I just wire the
headlights to always be on...

Thanks,
Brian