RE: Anyone running 215/40/16 tires on their Scirocco?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>On October 21, 1999 6:24 PM Feenix wrote:
> This will not help to reduce wheel spin. Better tires, or
> differentials
> will. The said combo will probably fit alright but your spin problem
> will remain depending on tires.

I have to disagree with your first statement.  A larger tire (even of the
same type) most definitely improves traction on dry pavement to a certain
degree.  It may not eliminate wheelspin but it will help as much or more
than silly upgrades like the Velocity diff kit (which I already have).
Granted, 215 is only two sizes higher than a 195.  This 10% increase in tire
width may not be dramatic but should be noticeable.

You are right about tire selection and a real (read: torque biasing)
differential like a Quaife.  But before you spend $1095 plus $300 (or more)
labor on a Quaife, I think you should address the tire issue.

That said, the 16x7.5 wheels with 40 mm offset are now on my car.  They just
BARELY fit on the front and required spacers on the back just to be sure it
wasn't touching the spring.  I haven't had time to fully evaluate the new
Toyo Proxes T1-S tires, but so far it feels pretty good.

Bradley
'86 Scirocco 16V 2.0 "T"
http://dns.effervescent.com/vw/