Re: ND show & Winterfest '99

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:05:27 EDT HOTGTX@aol.com writes:
>Hey
>
>The last I checked the ND show was in San Jose.  Right by the airport.
> At least that is where I thought I was located for the show this
>summer.  Am I right Shawn??

You are correct sir!
However when I spoke to Turbo Tim (at the show) he mentioned something
about moving the show to Laguna Seca and having an autox type event in
conjunction with a car show! This would kick ass if this happens. Tim
knows that he needs a larger venue to hold the show since it just keeps
getting bigger and bigger every year. Hopefully it will happen for all of
us! The question just remains WHEN and definitely WHERE.

>We had  a great time.  My wife and I met some really cool people,
>awesome cars, and to boot had a lot of fun.  Unless I'm dead I'll be
>there next year.  And This time I will be there with my Scirocco !!!!
>Dave
>85 Scirocco GTX

Comparing my last 2 trips to the ND show (98-99) against the Waterfest
show trip I made in 97, id have to say the WF show was a little bigger in
people turnout and total cars in the show. The friday night (Up until the
arrest thing) was really cool and meeting all the east coast list members
made the long ass drive worth it just to meet everybody. Hanging out in
the rain with everyone was a memorable experience for me, lots of fun.

The organization of the show sucked! The autox sucked! but the people
were cool.

The ND shows were better as far as quality of cars present. (IMHO) They
both had much more (Quality) Scirocco's present than the 97 WF show. Over
all Scirocco attendance was great, we counted something like 31 total at
the show. (Including the parking lot ect.) The year 00' ND show will
definitely have MORE Scirocco's there. definitely the experience of
cruising up hwy 1 with roc's in front of me and roc's behind me was WAY
cool too. Running over that animal wasn't. Ick. The hotel we stayed at
had far fewer VW owners in it which meant we all got a good nights sleep.
:) In 98 there was a ton of VW owners there out to party hard. This year
it was nice and mellow.

Since Rapid Parts shot themselves in the foot and turned WF 99' into
$$Fest 99' and ND is sticking solidly with the VW Enthusiast theme, id
have to say that the ND show is probably going to be the "VW show of
shows" for 00'. Lucky for me but it sucks for you east coasters that "THE
SHOW" is going to be on the west coast this year! IMHO, of course. :)

Now, while were on the topic of shows, and more specifically west coast
shows, heres a NEW creation that I discovered only because it was held
within a few miles of my house and there wasn't an autox that weekend.

The first show they put on was advertized it as DUBFEST 99'. Im sure I
(and Doug) told you all about it ect. Anyhoo, it was a really kick ass
show.

If anybody (Especially Doug Kevin and Iain) has nothing better to do im
sure you guys should be able to take at least ONE trophy in the Scirocco
class! (They lumped Scirocco's and Corrado's into one class because they
thought there wouldn't be any at the show. Go figure, we were the biggest
class!) Anyhoo, all the details are pasted below.
I will be road racing at Holtville or I would go.
They have quite alot of sponsors and have an hourly raffle so its pretty
cool. (I won a 5V Golf! Dunno what im gonna do with it but hey, I WON!
Whatever.)
Here tiz;

VW COLA presents VW Winterfest '99, a watercooled VW charity car
show, benefiting the children of the Northwest Pasadena Mentoring Center.

Location: Irwindale Speedway