Re: hall sending unit/distributor

Take out your distributor (leave the wires on), with your key on the run position, spin the distributor by hand.  You should see a spark at the plug (make sure the plug is touching something metal) if all is working as it should.

If you do get a spark, check and make sure the distributor is installed correctly.  Sometimes you can put them in 180' out of time.