Re: hall sending unit/distributor

Check the wiring harness to the hall sender - I have had one or more wires
break due to chaffing at this point.  It is a very hard thing to diagnose
- but having the rubber boot over the harness cracked and the wires coming
out of the connector at a sharp angle or under stress can indicate that
one or more wires may be broken.  The definitive test is to do a
connectivity test between the connectors and the other end (ignition
module).  Perhaps someone with the Bentley handy can provide the
appropriate pinouts on the ignition module connector?

The wires can actually be bad inside of the distributor as well - but
either way this is seems to be a more common problem than failed Hall
senders...

It's easy enough to splice in the harness from any TCI-H VW - you may wish
to crimp & solder or just crimp the splices - but definitely use lots of
tape to keep moisture out and also to aid that failing rubber boot to hold
the wires straight up as the some out of the connector.

PS If it is the hall sender, it is available as a separate part and can be
installed without too much hassle.  Again, you can scavange the sender
from any TCI-H VW (but maybe not TCI-H with knock sensor?) - even if the
distributor curve is different, the hall senders will be the same.

Hope this helps,

Drew

'84 Wolfsburg

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Speed Racer wrote:

> info:   1985 Scirocco Wolfie
>

> My problem is that I can't get it to start. I already did the trouble
> shooting....took 3 weeks cause of work ...... and have come to the
> conclusion to the HALL SENDING UNIT no longer works!
> Fuel pump works (has a new relay) ECU works, Ignition module
> works........(according to the trouble shooting procedures in my manual
> ...forgive I don't have a Bently yet) There's a new coil on the car too. But
> all it will do is turn and turn. No sound of any attempt of combustion. I
> put a spark plug on the #1 plug wire and there was no spark when the key was
> turned there was no spark.
>
> my questions........
>
> does it sound like I've isolated the problem to the hall sending unit?
> if so where can I get a distributor? (dealer $545.70)
> if not what other trouble shooting could I try?
>
> the dealer said that the hall sending unit is not available seperately......

> Rob
> Haven't driven in 3 1/2 weeks and it's killing me!!!!!!!!

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca