Fixing backlights

	I recently realized that my HVAC panel illumination doesn't work,
nor does my ashtray or cigarette lighter illumination. I just replaced the
bulbs in my instrument cluster, but I couldn't seem to figure out how to
replace the bulbs in these items. I'd really like to have full dash
backlights. I hate fumbling with the heater controls at night when you
have to count vacuum hisses to figure out where the slider is set at.
Someone at a parts place told me my HVAC panel would cost $40-$60 to
replace the whole panel (crazy), and that you couldn't replace the bulb
seperately. I read something a while ago on dejanews about someone who cut
open the panel and replaced the bulb anyways... does anyone know about
this method? As for the cigarette lighter and ashtray backlights, I'm
guessing they're replaceable, but what are the bulb codes, part numbers,
etc.

Thanks,

-Toby

BTW, replaced my thermoswitch today... fan now comes on sooner and keeps
the engine cool. The new switch is 85C/93C instead of 95C/102C. There was
a dime-thick layer of green crud on the old sensor which i imagine was why
it stopped doing its job effectively. The change wasn't too difficult, did
get a mouthful of coolant though. Be careful where you're positioned
because when it comes out, it really comes out! It took me a second or so
just to get over the initial shock and start threading in the new switch.

--
'87 Flash Silver Metallic Scirocco 16V