SV: Got my car into the low 8's quarter mile!

<x-charset iso-8859-1>> Isn't the Quattro/Syncro setup a viscous coupling system, just like the
> Subaru?

The quattro package is totally different to the syncro system. The quattro system is allways four wheel driven, but change forward/rear ratio as grip is needed somewhere else. I do believe they use a "silicone" viscous diff (actually three).

The syncro is two-wheel driven until the front spins and the rear kicks in.

The quattro system is made to handle power up to about 400 horses at least, but the syncro system cant stand much more than 200 horses.

Thats the reason VW dropped their rally golf because the motor was to weak, and when they got power in it drive train broke to pieces.

You can also do 4-wheel burnouts with a Subaru, but no stock
> U.S.-available Subaru (or VW, for that matter) has the horsepower to
> actually do it (I tried a couple times...and won't ever agian). It takes a
> LOT more power to spin all four than just two.

It's really fun to see a tuned Sierra Cosworth do donuts for two minutes. Or a sport quattro go on a race track and push the pedal down and it breaks all four loose in 100km/h and spinning/sliding with all four.

Roland Johansson, Swedish Viking
Scirocco 1,8lT RSi -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker