Re: 2nd gear grind - solution

<x-flowed>

>From: SCIROCCO2@t-online.de (Dirk Schneider)
>
>Hello
>
> > For those of you (myself included) who get grinding first
> > Depress clutch, move shifter from first to neutral, then
> > release clutch.  Depress clutch again and shift to second.
> > Works every time, with no grind.
> > Daun Yeagley
>
>yes, i learned that from lister Macsek when he visited me.
>it works but mostly I'm too lazy for that.
>it's called "zwischenkuppeln" here in Germany and was
>a common thing to shift on most cars about 3 decades ago,
>and still used on the older Bundeswehr ( military ) MAN trucks here.
>The older transmissions could not synchronize at all.
>

>this is definitely a weak point of the VW tranny
>as so many people have this problem.
>I have it on both of my Sciroccos and I hate it.
>
>have a nice weekend !
>Dirk

Old VW's had no synchros.
that's One reason that a Split is so slow (most of that might have to do
with a 25hp motor....)

My 58 has a later (short axle) tranny, so I have a full synchromesh tranny.

Its the little things, man. POWER WINDOWS?
'In my day, we had little leather straps to move the window up and down
(porsche) AND WE LIKED IT!'

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com -- Finally Updated!
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus