Re: speaking of rear mufflers

<x-charset iso-8859-1>The sad reality is that if you have no cat and a straight through muffler,
the car is going to be loud whenever you're not at idle and REALLY LOUD when
you're getting on it.  It doesn't matter which header or downpipe you use --
the absence of the catalytic converter is why it is so incredibly loud.

You might want to reconsider the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler.  They flow
fairly well and would really help quiet things down.  They are also cheap so
you can afford to replace it every two years when the internal baffles start
rattling.

The only way to get a reasonably quiet exhaust with no cat is to put a turbo
on there!  Seriously.  When my turbo was first installed, I was running the
2.25" TT system with Ultra-Flo and no cat and it was amazingly QUIET.  I'm
now running 2.5" system and cat and the car is very quiet but still has a
pleasant tone to the exhaust.

On that note, if anyone wants my old 2.25" 16V exhaust (complete with tri-Y
header), check it out on my web site and make me an offer.  (Recently
sandblasted and painted the header with high-temp aluminum paint.)  I don't
really want to box and ship it but who knows, I might get desperate enough.

Bradley
'86 S16V 2.0 "T"
http://dns.effervescent.com/vw/