Re: speaking of rear mufflers

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:34:05 -0700 "Bradley Peet"
<btpeet@effervescent.com> writes:
> The sad reality is that if you have no cat and a straight through
> muffler, the car is going to be loud whenever you're not at idle and
REALLY
> LOUD when you're getting on it.  It doesn't matter which header or
downpipe
> you use -- the absence of the catalytic converter is why it is so
incredibly
> loud.

I have the TT 2" race pipe and it is exponentially louder than just
removing the cat.
The guys at Techtonics can vouch for that.
I had a Dynomax Superturbo on there, and when I added the race downpipe,
I noticed a lot less power off the line and it was "rice" loud. This
setup screamed on the highway though, even with the a/c on.
The '88 S16V was my daily ride, so I opted for a quieter muffler. I went
with a Walker Quietflow, which restored my bottom end and then some, but
it would start choking the engine @ 6800 rpm.
The 2" downpipe is now going on my '79 Scirocco, with a TT SS 2 1/4" with
a straighthru Ultraflo muffler. I know it will be loud, but I hope it is
a good loud. : ^ )

Peter