RE: New Clutch

<x-charset iso-8859-1>We did my brother's '85 GTI a few months ago, and Advance Auto sold us one
for $95.  That included clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout plate thing
that goes in the center to disengage the clutch (don't know the proper
name), T/O bearing (I'm assuming that's what it was, but we didn't replace
it), and an alignment tool.  Of course, since it was purchased from a
discount chain I don't know what kind of quality we're looking at, but it
came with a lifetime warranty, and for the kind of driving he does, I don't
think there will be a problem.

We didn't do anything with the axle, but judging from the other responses,
apparently others remove the left drive shaft.  I have to say I would be
inclined to do that in the future because it's a real PITA to get the trans
out with that drive shaft in the car.  It's doable, but not easy.

When we did it, the job took about 14 hours, and we weren't working terribly
fast, and the only real engine/trans separation I had done prior was in my
Bug (cake by comparison).  We didn't have any loc-tite to use on the
pressure plate bolts, so we had to take it all apart a couple months later.
It took nearly as long that time, but it's because that left drive shaft
kept getting in the way.

Can someone tell me if removing the drive shaft is the best option?  I may
have to do the clutch (or maybe the trans) in my 'roc in the near future.

Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating
'87 Nissan truck - Soon to be for sale