more on the engines (old and new)

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Well as some of you may have read a couple weekends ago, I thought I had
blown a headgasket on my 1.8L 16v while at the track.  Well, that prompted
me to really get going on my current engine project (worked 2L), and swap it
out, before our next lapping day (this coming Sunday).  Well, the current
engine swap is going well, the old engine is almost ready to be hoisted out,
and it will be first thing tomorrow (after classes that is).
    One thing I happend to notice thought, upon inspection of where the
leaking coolant was coming from WAS A HUGE FRICKIN HOLE IN THE BLOCK!.   So
I completely grenaded my old engine in the coolest way possible.  There is a
hole in the back of the block, on #2 cyl, about the size of a grapefruit.
Musta punched a rod right through it.  And the other thing is, there are
bits of, what looks like aluminium shrapnel all throughout the intake, from
just aft of the TB, all the way down to the intake ports.   Needless to say,
I'm excited to tear the beast apart and see the carnage in there =>    I'll
be taking pics, and I think this is gonna have to go on scirocco.org in the
cool stuff section, as the coolest scirocco engine blowout (damn, I just
wish I had it on video).
    Anyway, The engine will be out tomorrow, and that should give the
rest of the parts I need to complete the new engine.  In the meantime, I'll
be sanding, bead blasting, priming, painting and clearcoating every little
thing I can get my hands on in the engine bay.  My plan is to be able to
feed more people off of my engine, than Brett can ;)

   dissolve the sharing circle now....

Owen
87 Scirocco 16v #38 CD-SS.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1571