Re: Switch to synthetic for 16V engine?

Ian Overholt wrote:

> I wouldn't think that changing to synthetic in a 16v would be any different
> than an 8v.  I switched my 16v to synthetic at 130,000 miles.  I have had no
> leaks.  I did use a synthetic blend when I bought the car at 83,000 miles
> though.  I didn't know what oil the previous owner had used, so I took a
> long time to switch to synthetic. If you are really in doubt of your engine
> seals, then I wouldn't make the switch.  Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about
> it.

I switched to Mobil 1 15w-50 2 changes back.  Got the first batch out of
there in 3k miles, mostly to get the dirty stuff out since <in theory> the
synth was cleaning crud out of there.. will go to 5k intervals now.  No
sign of leaking of any kind and have been on a couple of long distance
high-speed runs..

--
Kevin Collins
'86.5 Scirocco 16V 2.0