Re: Maaco vs. Scheib & Acer Note

--- Ian <e@sbbs.se> wrote:
> Can someone explain to me the difference between
> going to someplace like
> maaco and getting a $400 paint job and going to a
> local body shop and
> getting the $2000 job?
>
> Does Maaco use crappy paint? not apply as many
> coats? no prep work? no
> warranty?
>
> Please edumacate me here. I'll need paint someday,
> was planning on a couple
> of years (when I'd managed to save up about $3k)
==========
There are many ways to paint your car.

For instance, I am doing all the body work and prep on
my Golf GT. I just want someone to spray it. I will
not be having the door jambs etc. painted.

So I don't expect to pay much (it's a Golf!), I'll
probably let Maaco spray it for a couple hundred.

However, next in line is Kristen's 1978 Scirocco. I
will do as much of the body work as I can, but if
there is any rust areas that I can't handle (don't
know yet), I'll get a good body work guy to do it.
Even if I don't do all the prep work, I expect to pay
big bucks for this, as I'll have the door jambs done
too.

I think a local shop is the best way to go for a
quality spray. Get a million references!

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Free: Dual outlet A1 manifold - nds studs (in MD)