Re: New Grounding Strap

Wayne Cressman wrote:

> I read an FAQ someplace which suggested it's a good idea to set up a new
> grounding strap from the battery's negative terminal to the alternator
> housing.  The FAQ suggested 12 to 14 gauge wire with ring connecters and
> stated that this would improve battery life, particularly on 16v.  However,
> when I followed this suggestion, the wire sparked badly on connection,
> suggesting I was connecting it to the wrong part of the alternator.  Do
> people think this is a good idea and, if so, where exactly on the alternator
> housing should I connect it?
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne C.

THe standard way is to mount to one of the protruding bolts sticking out
the back of the Alt. They are used to keep the halves of the case
together. Add two small fine thread nuts (one to hold it and another to
hold the 1st nut) and you should be OK. The idea is to avoid any of the
places that look like a wire would plug in, they all have a different
reason for being. Some Alts that I have seen came with a spade bolted
(screwed) on the case just for this purpose.

hth,
TBerk