Re: snow/winter tire recommendations

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>** Reply to note from "Foxx (in a box)" <iraldly@otterbein.edu> Sat, 02 Oct 1999 01:59:36 -0400

> i know that there are many opinions about tires and i'm assuming this
> is the same for snow/winter tires as well. i live in ohio and here we
> get more ice and freezing rain than snow (or snow on top of it).

  Not much will help you on ice. If they are allowed in your area, studs
are the best choice.

  Other than that, good winter tires will help. Michelin, Goodyear,
Bridgestone all have good winter tires. I currently have Michelin Alpins
on the Scirocco (even though I no longer use it in the winter), and
Goodyear Eagles on the Jetta. I used to have Continental Contacts on
the Scirocco, but their prices went through the roof.

  Whatever you do, don't settle for all-season tires. They are only good
in places that have only one season :-)

  And remember that you must have winter tires on all four wheels.
(And then, reduce speed on wet pavement - or ice)

        Jean-Claude
        ICQ: 47403427