Re: boo hoo, clutch is dead (outdated reply - sorry)

Comments interspersed- tb

Jonas Karlsson wrote:

> Yesterday my clutch decided to die on me (or so I think).
>
> It feels like it just does not disengage. I checked the clutch cable and
> it is tight. Earlier in the day, I heard a medium sized -crunch- as I
> pressed the clutch in. Following this, there was a rattling noise (like
> something broke off and was rattling around as I revved the engine) and
> also shifting became difficult, but not impossible.

This is the time to say 'Whoa there Hos' Further operation can lead to
more extensive damage. "I heard a nasty noise and things didn't work the
same anymore. LATER I ran it some MORE and..." See?

> Later, the difficult
> shifting went away, but noise remained. Then in the evening, it just
> stopped working. I went to shift into first and it would not go in any
> gear. I turned the engine off, put her in third and started her up. As
> soon as I turned the ignition (even though  the clutch pedal was all the
> way down) the car jerked forward. I got her going and used clutchless
> shifting to get home.
>
> My questions are:
>
> Is the problem the clutch or somewhere else in the transmission (throwout
> bearing, maybe)?
>
> How difficult is it to pull out the tranny? My trusty bentley makes it
> sound like a time consuming and pretty difficult job.

Not too difficult. Plan on it like it's a clutch job. Gather the clutch
, a new throw out bearing, and I'd think some new bolts to hold the
clutch in. The pressure plate may be scored, hard to tell until you get
in there.

I was a complete neophyte when I decided to do my own clutch job. I was
armed with a Bentley, a Haynes, a mini Chilton, and Muir Press's How to
keep your (VW) Alive books. The 1st and last were most helpful.

I pulled my tranny and replaced the clutch in one day and one night.
This included a trip to rent an electric  impact wrench because I
couldn't
untourque the old clutch bolts off with my breaker bar. Grrrr.