Re: carbs & inlet manifolds

Hello Ewan,

>have any spare 2E2s but I do have a 2B5 off an '82 1.6 scirocco.  What I
want to know is >are the carb mounts for the 1B compatible with the 2B5 or
will I have to change the >manifold?  Getting a manifold is no problem but
I'd rather avoid the hassle of changing >it if possible.

If a 1B.. is mounted, you will definitely need another manifold to put on
the 2B5.
I also did this mod. on my Scirocco Mk1, it isn't too much of a hassle,
could be done in 2 or three hours completely.
You will need a different throttle-cable, so get this before you
realize it somewhen Saturday afternoon when you did all the work,
want to test drive it and this lousy cable won't fit-
but all VW-dealers are closed then...  :-)

Be aware that the 2B5 fails more often compared to the 1B3.
Usually, swimmer-needle-valves ( Schwimmernadelventile, don't know your
word )
that are moving in their bores, cause malfunctioning of the carb.

but the pros of the 2B5 ( gain of power ) are bigger than the cons.

Greetings
Dirk