carbs & inlet manifolds

Hi there,

I've been off the list for a while (email troubles) so if anyone has answered any of this recently, my apololgies...
I'm looking to buy an '86 GT (1.6 carb) for a friend but there are a couple of things needing sorting out.  It seems to have the wrong carb fitted:  it has a pierburg 1B instead of the normal 2E2 and the inlet manifold looks like it has been changed as well.  I don't have any spare 2E2s but I do have a 2B5 off an '82 1.6 scirocco.  What I want to know is are the carb mounts for the 1B compatible with the 2B5 or will I have to change the manifold?  Getting a manifold is no problem but I'd rather avoid the hassle of changing it if possible.
The second problem is a strange noise which seems to come from the distributor end of the engine, a sort of dry metallic squeaky whine.  It varies with engine speed and is always there whether the clutch is in, out, moving or stationary.  Clutch action feels fine. My thoughts are: maybe dry distributor; something clutch related; some sort of dire bearing wear connected with camshaft/crank/intermediate shafts.  Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ewan Hopkins
'85 2.0 Storm

This footnote confirms that this e-mail message and any files transmitted
with it have been swept by the Computeraid IT Services Department for the
presence of computer viruses.

To find out about the Services Computeraid can offer, visit us at
                                                                                www.computeraid.co.uk