Re: Some more 2L conversion ?'s

At 10:45 am -0400 1/10/99, Bill Scarince wrote:
>On my 16V ('88) it looks like the current pipe is 2.25 aluminized.   What was
>the stock dia.?  If it was 2.25", is there some other difference in the TT
>stainless system that improves performance?  Do the TT systems maintain that
>resonator (pre-muffler) that the stock system has just after the cat?

This thread has gone around the block a few times in the last couple
years... I maintain that on Canadian 16v cars at least, the stock exhaust
system is mandrel-bent 2.25" stainless steel.  Neither the muffler nor the
resonator are stainless, but the tubing is.  This may or may not be true
for American cars, but every Canadian 16v I've looked under has had a
stainless steel exhaust.  For that reason, there's not much point in buying
the whole TT system unless your exhaust has been replaced with something
inferior at some point in the car's life.

>Aside from headers, are there better alternative to the stock 16V Ex.
>manifold?

Nope.  TT sells a "high-flow" downpipe that's essentially the same as the
stock part, but if you call them and ask what kind of power gains you'll
get from it, they won't make any promises.

>Cyl. Head
>I'll have it off, so aside from an intake cam, are there any
>recommendations on
>springs, lifters, porting, polishing, other machine work?

If you're going to have the head off, and if it's got more than 100k on it,
I'd think about rebuilding it at the very least.  New lifters, new cam
chain, etc.  It's good peace of mind.  The springs will probably be ok, as
will the valves themselves.  As far as head work goes, I'm a big fan.  Look
into what a port job and valve grind will cost you and think about how much
cheaper it'll be now, while the head is already off, rather than later.
Even with stock cams you'll make more power, and when you upgrade your
cams, you'll be making a LOT more power.

>Transmission
>It'll be off too, so aside from seals, what do you say about aftermarket
>differentials, gear ratio changes, etc.

Get yourself a Velocity diff kit!  It's less than a hundred bucks, and it
makes a difference...