P&P and Rebuilding 16V head.

In light that winter is approaching and most of my time will be devoted to
rebuilding a 16V (for the transplant to my mk1 Rocco) motor, I am debating
whether I should tackle the concept of working on the 16V head.  I plan to
not only rebuild the head but also shave it and p&p it.  Shit, if it's out
of the car, I might as well do it now.  I don't want to put it in and then
decide that I wanna do all that work later on!

So here it is:  do I do it myself, or do I rely on someone else's
expertise.  What have I done so far? Well, I've rebuilt a 8V (not the head)
and altered my previously carbed Rabbit into a FI one.  So I do have some
knowledge (I know that someone is gonna ask me how much knowledge I do
have). I'm not saying that I know everything, I'm just saying that I may be
capable of doing it.  However, is it a difficult task.  What should I look
for?  Anything in particular should I replace. ie. stiffer valve springs,
etc. I lack knowledge when it comes to head jobs.  What does p&p involve?
Shaving the head I guess means that a machine shop would have to do it for
me?  Not sure, but I'm trying to gather as much info as possible prior to
tackling the project.

TIA

Sal

BTW, when it's time for the electrical, expect another question.
81 Scirocco
81 Scirocco S (with all the goodies)
84 Rabbit (now Gti)
84 Scirocco Wolfsburg