Re: Help Dummy coolant light won't stop.

Just in case this hasn't been covered:

Check the coolant level indicator control unit - it should be in position
18 on the relay plate (it's the far right of the first row of relays that
are clippend on to the TOP of the relay plate).  I've had two cars where
the light would flash intermittently (despite the fact that the sensor was
removed).  One was fixed by removing the relay (its only function is to
activate the low coolant function of the LED, NOT the overtemp function)
and the other by swapping out the relay plate.  Apparently the seal on the
coolant sender can fail, causing coolant to be forced under pressure to
the relay via the wiring, eventually corroding the contacts inside.  Of
course a leaking windshield gasket can generate the same symptoms.

Hope this helps,

Drew
84 Wolfsburg

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 XXSpArCoXx@aol.com wrote:

>     OK as the subject said the damn coolant light won't stop. Yes, it does
> it's three-second check and turns off but turns back in with in like 15
> seconds and won't shut off no matter what I do. What have I done you say?
>
>     Well, tried disconnecting it and reconnecting it,
> tried jumping it,
> tried cleaning the sensor off,
> tried electrical grease on the connections
> Tried pulling out the fuse for the coolant light/rear whipper, didn't work
> oddly enough
> tried flushing the system, in hopes that maybe it was a coolant concentration
> sensor and not just a level sensor.
> Finally I replaced the damn sensor.
>
>     The damn thing still wont shut off. The pump works the fan works and
> everything else is checking out fine. Anyone have this problem. I need a fix
> fast. This light blinking in my face for the last 3 days is driving me crazy!
> No, I don't want to put tape over the light or cut the LED out. You never
> know it might do its function right one day and help me out.
>
>     Is there something in the dash or a switch somewhere else that would
> cause this thing to be stuck on the open position?
> Please help its driving me nuttier the usual.
> Thanks
> ~Danny~
> 88 16v Tornado Red

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca