Speedo cable attachment

<x-charset iso-8859-1>My brother's A2 GTI has a little problem with the threaded hole for the
speedo.  From what I gather, this hole is prone to stripping.  I'll be
visiting him this weekend (leaving tonight), and I want to help him fix it
while I'm there so his speedo will work again.

Is there an easy fix for this?  Does the hole go all the way through the
tranny case, so I could just extend the threads if necessary and use a
longer bolt?  If not, is it advisable to drill and tap through the tranny
case?  The material is pretty soft, so I don't expect the chips would hurt
anything in the tranny.  What about if I just smear a schload of grease on
before I drill, to hold the chips?

TIA!
Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!