(long) Yellow brick road, my ass...

<x-flowed>Hey Kids...

This weekend the Pine Barrons Express rally was canceled here in NJ, so I
gave Dread Scott a call to see if he wanted to explore the dirt roads found
in the NJ Brick Factory, not too far from my mom's house.
I used to ride my bike back there as a kid.

It was an amazing place. Lots of smooth dirt roads for the dumptrucks to
travel down, with 'walls' of rock climing almost 2 stories tall. at the top
of these were various racetracks to race our bikes on. It was a real
mystical place.

Anyway, Scott showed up over my house and we swapped his Dunlop SP-8000 on
the 14x7 panasports for some Dunlop D40-m2's on the stocker uGLi wheels.
Belted up- off we go.

We arrived at the brick factory and the gate was wide open. ROCK! we blow by
the factory, into the mining area without a problem. As we blew past an
unhappy hunter, I noticed the weirdest thing... The 'walls' were all gone-
they were all mined away! Another thing, the roads were 'paved' with loose,
broken bricks.

I *guarantee* nobody has driven over anything rougher than this.

I thought we were gonna loose the oil pan. It sounded like the world was
ending. Scott pressured on.

We spent the first 5-10 mins, exploring the area looking for a nice stretch
of dirt road, because most of it was covered in the loose bricks. we did a
litle mountain climing, and a few cool e-brake turns. Enough for me to let
out a "YYEEEAAAHHH!" Good fun.  When he finally found a stretch that was
relatively brick-less, he turned up the wick. BY A LOT. Suddenly we're doing
about 65mph, then 'slowing' to 60 for a turn. The back end drifted to the
right, and scott followed it, hard on the throttle. Then--the rear sway bar
mount broke!!! We began fishtailing- about 4 or 5 times back and forth
before Scott decided that it was enough.  BAM! into a ditch. Here's me
thinking "get out and push the warpig home", when Scott fired it back up and
threw it into reverse, releasing us.  Cool.

We did several more passes. I had a freaking blast, and Scott got to thrash
the car some. The weather was perfect, adn although the dust was choking me,
Id do it again in 1 second.

No wonder Rallying is the world's most popular sport.

The uGLi will feel the effects of this... I can hear the dirt and rocks
calling me now...

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com -- Finally Updated!
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus